The aim of Wells Maltings Project is to create North Norfolk’s Premier Arts & Heritage Centre and an exciting programme of arts and heritage events that will inspire, delight and entertain everyone that visits. We’ve got big plans! A major revamp of the much loved Wells Maltings has just got underway. Having already served North Norfolk for many decades, the Grade II listed old lady is about to undergo a major facelift and overhaul.
[tabs tab1=”Our sucsesses so far” tab2=”Our Vision” tab3=”The Maltings” tab4=”The Sackhouse” tab5=”Friends of the Project” tab6=”TIC”]
We’ve achieved a lot in the past four years…
- Completion of Phase 1 of the project – the transformation of the Sackhouse into community and business space. Over £400,000 was raised to convert the Sackhouse and provide seven business units plus a beautiful new community space available for training events, meetings and exhibitions.
- The mighty and award winning Wells Pirate Festival, our annual community fundraiser now attracts thousands of people from all over the UK and further afield every September, boosting the local economy.
- Take over of the Tourist Information Centre under an SLA agreement with North Norfolk District Council, running it with a team of dedicated volunteers and preserving the service for the town and local area.
- Management of a much loved community centre and studio theatre The Granary, home to Friends of the Granary and a vibrant cinema club which streams NT Live from the National Theatre, The Bolshoi Ballet, and The New York Met.
We are currently fundraising for Phase 2 of the Maltings Project which will repair, restore and develop the historic Grade 2 Maltings building on Staithe Street, improve access throughout and provide space for a new heritage and learning centre, cafe, central box office, TIC, improved auditorium and community space.
We are delighted to have received generous funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund, Coastal Communities, Coastal Revival Fund Garfield Weston Foundation, Foyle Foundation, FLAG fund and Trusthouse Charitable Foundation towards the project.
We are now continuing the fundraising to raise the match funding of over £800,000 to carry out the project. We need your help!
We have big plans for the new facility, our plans for the new programme include:
- An expanded cinema programme will continue with the Live offerings and well-chosen crowd pleasers, but will branch out to provide new offerings. Expect to choose from themed film seasons and special event film screenings introduced by stars and directors – and more!
- First rate small theatre groups
- A regular monthly jazz evening – featuring a ‘Guest appearance from…’ programme from the best jazz clubs in the country
- An uplifting classical music programme showcasing the best British talent
- A literary festival with many favourite authors
- Puppet shows and workshops
- Links to local education with curriculum supporting programmes
- New Designers showcase, talks and demonstrations
- Expanded interactive local heritage exhibition and demonstrations
- Theatre workshops for local school children
- Art exhibitions for up-coming Norfolk artists curated by one of Norfolk’s leading experts
- Nature and art trails in this most spectacular of coastal settings
Our vision is to restore, repair and develop the historic Maltings building to provide improved community and arts spaces, a new heritage and learning centre celebrating the rich heritage of the local area, a new cafe, central box office and Tourist Information Centre. We intend to provide a first rate, year round cultural and community facility for local people and visitors.
The Maltings has been an important part of life in Wells for the past 200 years, we are currently fundraising to ensure its future. Parts of the building are in need of urgent repairs to make it safe and fit for the 21st century.
If you are interested in viewing the architect plans for the project designed by Chaplin Farrant architects and the concept designs for the new heritage and learning centre, please or drop into the Project Office in the Sackhouse . We are usually in the office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays – call 01328 839000 to make an appointment outside of these times.
The Sackhouse has been beautifully renovated and developed to provide space for local small businesses, training and learning events and community activities in the heart of Wells.
The space has been transformed into a flexible resource in the centre of the town for local businesses, especially start up enterprises and smaller local business people. The space features seven individual office units, an open plan mixed-use community space with kitchen and break out areas that can adapted to a range of uses including conferences, workshops, parties, exhibitions and classes.
For more information, and to book your guided tour please call 01328 839000 or pop into the cabin on Staithe Street.
Interested in becoming a Member or a Volunteer? Please call us on 01328 839000
The Trust manages the Tourist Information Centre in Wells – here are some useful local links you might find useful when visiting.